The 2016 Fashion X BERNINA Design Challenge is simple. Turn old worn out clothing and unconventional materials into a stunning evening gown.
Each applying designer is to create a sketch of an evening gown that can ultimately be created from up cycled clothing and at least one unconventional material.
From the sketches and story inspiration, 20 designers will be chosen to move forward in the competition. 18 designers will be chosen by our panel of expert judges and the final 2 will be chosen through an online vote.
The Top 20 designers will be asked to execute their sketch and create the final evening gown. Those gowns will be professionally photographed on a live model and will be judged by our experts. The winning designer will be crowned the 2016 Fashion X BERNINA Design Challenge winner and receive the grand prize of a suite of brand new BERNINA products.
1. Entrants must be 13 years of age or older and reside in the United States. Entrants under 13 years old may be admitted, but must Fashion X must receive parental consent in writing prior to application. Please email email@example.com.
2. Each entrant can submit only one design.
3. Entries may be disqualified at any time if manipulation of the online voting process is suspected for any reason.
4. Each applying designer must create a sketch of an evening gown and must provide an inspiration. Sketches may be digital, hand-drawn, or on any other medium.
5. Each of the Top 20 designers must use up cycled fabric from thrift store or used clothing on at least 50% of the finished garment. New fabrics may be used as well but on no more than 50% of the final piece. Top 20 designers must submit images of the original used clothing prior to it being cut for the final gown.
6. Each of the Top 20 designers must use at least one unconventional material in the final gown. Bonus points for using a material that doesn’t have qualities similar to fabric.
7. Designs may include more than one piece, but the complete look will be judged as a whole.
1. JULY 20: All designer applications, sketches and inspirations must be received.
2. AUGUST 1: All sketches and inspirations will be published to fashionxbernina.com for voting.
3. AUGUST 15: Voting closes. Top 20 are announced.
4. OCTOBER 3: Top 20 designers must submit final evening gown to Fashion X.
5. OCTOBER 24: Images of final 20 looks are published to fashionxbernina.com for voting.
6. NOVEMBER 7: Voting closes and winners are announced.
Sorry. The deadline has passed for applications.